Thursday, April 23, 2020

Implicit Bias in OT

Implicit bias is the unconscious biases or attitudes towards particular groups of individuals. These biases can be stereotypes or beliefs of races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, and so many more. It is important for OTs and OT students to understand implicit bias, because OTs work with people of all backgrounds. If an OT can identify and address their personal biases, his or her interactions with clients will improve. These biases towards clients could greatly interfere with giving exceptional therapy.

There are several steps that I can take in order to address my own implicit biases. People often do not want to admit that they may have biases towards groups, however, growth and change come from identifying your personal, unconscious beliefs. The first step I can take towards addressing my biases is by taking tests that identify them. I can then take my results and educate myself on groups that I may have biases towards or against in order to identify how to improve my understanding of these groups. Education is the best way to improve relations with other groups that I may not understand. Finally, I should strive to befriend people of all backgrounds. Having diversity in my friendships teaches me more about other groups that I do not personally identify with and can eliminate biases that I may have.

My biggest takeaway from this lesson comes from the COTAD podcast from Dr. Varlesha Gibbs. Dr. Gibbs discusses the importance of diversity in the field of OT. Diversity can be improved by showing OTs of all groups represented in leadership, in our educational programs, and even on our websites. It should be a common goal of all OTs to promote diversity within the field because it can greatly benefit our services to others. Diverse practitioners can relate better to certain clients and understand their daily occupations better! As a future practitioner, I value learning about different cultures, experiences, and lifestyles of groups that I do not identify with through collaboration with individuals of different backgrounds. I also learned from the podcast with Debbie Hall, the importance of being present with others. If I see a client or colleague of a different background struggling, it may be best just to be present with them even if I do not think that I can help them. When dealing with diversity, there can often be pain that I will never understand due to my racial or religious identification, so instead of prying, I can just offer my friendship and presence to listen to them voice their feelings. Being present could end up being the best therapy for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impostor Phenomenon

      Impostor Syndrome is a feeling where people believe that they are not as intelligent, competent, or knowledgable as they truly are. In...